I've read 2 books so far- Kitchen Chinese and The Apothecary's Daughter. I enjoyed both- Kitchen Chinese made me think of my best friend, who is currently living in China and missing cheese as much as the girl in the book.
I also tried a new restaurant Friday night- Grill 584 in Burlington. The salmon was super moist and delicious, and the salad bar was spectacular. Dinner was followed by Hip Pocket at The Fat Frogg. This was the first time I've seen them, but they were lively and fun, and I'll definitely see them again.
Sunday, January 2, 2011
The Mission: Complete 101 preset tasks in 1001 days.The Criteria: Tasks must be specific with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and represent some amount of work on my part.
Why? Since graduating 6+ months ago, I feel as if I've made no progress in my life. I am still unemployed and still living at my parents' house. Hopefully, this list will motivate me to connect with people, branch out from my currently uneventful schedule and move outside my comfort zone.
Start date: January 25, 2011End date: October 22, 2013
1. Save $2500.
2. Get Caroline's air conditioning fixed. (Caroline is my car.)3. Read then organize all my dental hygiene magazines and information.
4. Volunteer at a homeless shelter twice.
5. Remove all but 2 facebook games from my account.
6. Back up my computer.7. Send 20 homemade birthday cards. (10/20)
8. Weigh 125 lbs.
9. Eat strictly paleo for 1 week.
10. Be brave enough to cut my bangs à la Zooey Deschanel.
11. Visit Jess for a weekend.12. Camp 5 times. (1/5)
13. Bake 10 new cake/cupcake recipes. (2/10)
-Shamelessly Rich Carrot Cake
14. Go on a picnic.
15. Grow lavender.
16. Run in a 5K.17. Run in a 10K.
18. Blog once a week for 3 months, not including 101 updates. (0/12)
19. Have a yard sale.20. Go to church voluntarily 3 times. (3/3)
21. Get engaged. (AND MARRIED!!!)
22. Use up all the lotion I own. (2/14)
23. Make JH a bowtie.24. Start and finish The Road Trip scrapbook.
25. Make my own dress.26. Go for a weekend getaway with JH.
27. Finish level 1 of Rosetta Stone Spanish.
28. Learn to identify 10 constellations. (0/10)
29. Visit 2 new states. (2/2)
30. Read 250 books, at least 20 of them non-fiction*. 138/250), (13/20)
-Kitchen Chinese, Ann Mah
-The Apothecary's Daughter, Julie Klassen
-Gateway, Sharon Shinn
-Dancing in the Lowcountry, James Villas
-Luscious Lemon, Heather Swain
-*Fruitless Fall: The Collapse of the Honeybee and the Coming Agricultural Crisis, Rowan Jacobsen
-Angel, James Patterson
-The Year Money Grew on Trees, Aaron Hawkins
-Rebel Angels, Libba Bray
-Tick Tock, James Patterson
-Hex Hall, Rachel Hawkins
-Guilt Trip, Ben Rehder
- I Heart New York, Lindsey Kelk
-Ash, Malinda Lo
-Bone Crossed, Patricia Briggs
-Silver Borne, Patricia Briggs
-A Heart Most Worthy, Siri Mitchell
-Stork, Wendy Del Sol
-Stargazer, Claudia Gray
-*Unbroken, Laura Hillenbrand
-The Raising, Laura Kasischke
-*The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, Michael Pollan
-River Marked, Patricia Briggs
-Remember Me?, Sophie Kinsella
-*Sleeping Naked is Green, Vanessa Farquharson
-The Second Duchess, Elizabeth Loupas
-Sleeping Helena, Erzebet Yellowboy
-*Heaven is for Real, Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent
-Mr. Darcy's Secret, Jane Odiwe
-The Double Cross, Clare O'Donohue
-The Canary List, Sigmund Brouwer
-Dead in the Family, Charlaine Harris
-Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
-10th Anniversary, James Patterson
-She Went All The Way, Meg Cabot
-Now You See Her, James Patterson
-Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
-Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins,
-What Happened to Goodbye, Sarah Dessen
-The Prophecy of the Stones, Flavia Bujor
-The Last Summer (of You & Me), Ann Brashares
-*Marley & Me, John Grogan
-Girl With a Pearl Earring, Tracy Chevalier
-Not A Sparrow Falls, Linda Nichols
-No One You Know, Michelle Richmond
-The Mermaid Chair, Sue Monk Kidd
-*Beautiful Madness, James Dodson
-Kill Me If You Can, James Patterson
-Queen Defiant; A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Anne O'Brien
-*Three Weeks With My Brother, Nicholas Sparks and Micah Sparks
-*Free For All: Oddballs, Geeks and Gangstas in the Public Library, Don Borchert
-The Christmas Wedding, James Patterson & Richard DiLallo
-The Best of Me, Nicholas Sparks
-Skipping Christmas, John Grisham
-Kill Alex Cross, James Patterson
-Firefly Lane, Kristin Hannah
-The Help, Kathryn Stockett
-The Legacy, Katherine Webb
-The Butterfly Cabinet, Bernie McGill
-Queen of the Summer Starts, Persia Wooley
-Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs
-Private; #1 Suspect, James Patterson
-Seekers: Smoke Mountain, Erin Hunter
-Private Games, James Patterson
-Touch of Power, Maria V. Snyder
-The Lost Daughter, Lucy Ferriss
-The Rescue, Nicholas Sparks
-Smoke Mountain, Erin Hunter
-Great Bear Lake, Erin Hunter
-Fifty Shades of Grey, E L James
-Fifty Shades Darker, E L James
-Fifty Shades Freed, E L James
-Guilty Wives, James Patterson and David Ellis
-Fairest, Gail Carson Levine
-11th Hour, James Patterson
-The Singles, Meredith Goldstein
-Fire, Kristin Cashore
-A Teeny Bit of Trouble, Michael Lee West
-Alligator Lake, Lynne Bryant
-Mermaids in the Basement, Michael Lee West
-Gone With A Handsomer Man, Michael Lee West
-Shades of Milk and Honey, Mary Robinette Kowal
-Glamor in Glass, Mary Robinette Kowal
-The Next Always, Nora Robert
-Troubled Waters, Sharon Shinn
-Quatrain, Sharon Shinn
-The Devil in the Junior League, Linda Francis Lee
-Temptation, Nora Roberts
-Chance, Nora Roberts
-I, Michael Bennett, James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge
-Carolina Moon, Nora Roberts
-Bitterblue, Kristin Cashore
-The Last Boyfriend, Nora Roberts
-Northern Lights, Nora Roberts
-The Witness, Nora Roberts
-Ten Girls To Watch, Charity Shumway
-Keepsake, Kristina Riggle
-Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
-The Proposal, Mary Balogh
-Nevermore, James Patterson
-*Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, John Berendt
-Zoo, James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge
-NYPD Red, James Patterson
-Bridesmaid Lotto, Rachel Astor
-*The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman
-Fifty Shames of Earl Grey, Andrew Shaffer
-Dead Reckoning, Charlaine Harris
-Holiday Bride, Ginny Baird
-Derailed, Alyssa Rose Ivy
-Unenchanted, Chanda Hahn
-Merry Christmas, Alex Cross, James Patterson
-Fairest, Chanda Hahn
-Bluegrass State of Mind, Kathleen Brooks
-Waking Up Married, Miralyn Kelly
-Perfectly You, Kate Perry
-The Night Dance, Suzanne Weyn
-Waiting, Carol Lynch Williams
-The Blonde Theory, Kristin Harmel
-*Stealing Buddha's Dinner, Bich Minh Nguyen
-Georgia Bottoms, Mark Childress
-Magnolia Wednesdays, Wendy Wax
-Ten Beach Road, Wendy Wax
-Ocean Beach, Wendy Wax
-Grave Secret, Charlaine Harris
-When in Doubt, Add Butter, Beth Harbison
-Second Honeymoon, James Patterson & Howard Roughan
-Flies on the Butter, Denise Hildreth
-The Seven Rays, Jessica Bendinger
-Two Brides Too Many, Mona Hodgson
-Bootstrapper; From Broke to Badass on a Northern Michigan Farm, Mardi Jo Link
-Serena, Ron Rash
-Divergent, Veronica Roth
-Accidental Bestseller, Wendy Wax
-Reconstructing Amelia, Kimberly McCreight
-If I Stay, Gayle Forman
-City of Bones, Cassandra Clare
-The Fault in Our Stars, John Green
31. Visit a new country.
32. Move out of my parents' house.
33. Get rid of 1 thing per day for 3 months. (0/90)
34. Thoroughly clean my bathroom shelves and throw out any cosmetics I haven't used in a year.
35. Go to a rodeo.
36. WWOOF for a week.
37. Snorkel in a coral reef.
38. Learn to drive stick shift.
39. Make crème brûlée.
40. Buy flowers for my mom.
41. Clean my car, inside and out.
42. Have another Fab 4 reunion.
43. Stand on a slackline for 1 minute without falling off.
44. Try 5 new restaurants. (5/5)-Grill 584
45. Go shopping at an antique store.
46. Drink at least 64oz. of water per day for a month. (0/30)
47. Buy a share of stock in a company.
48. Go to bed before midnight every day for a month. (0/30)
49. Wake up before 9 every day for a month. (31/30)
50. Go to a parade.51. Try sulfate-free shampoo.
52. Take a Live and Learn class at GTCC.
53. Host a party.54. Learn calligraphy.
55. Be able to identify all the muscles in the head.
56. Conquer Sporcle's Countries of the World quiz by myself.
57. Ride a motorcycle.
58. Learn the exfoliation and eruption patterns by heart.
59. Go on a tour at Red Oak Brewery.60. Knit or crochet something useful.
61. Go to a Rocky Horror Picture Show.
62. Answer The 50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind.
63. Attend UNC Homecoming every year. (2/2)
64. Sleep under the stars.
65. Watch every Sandra Bullock movie.
66. Hike to the top of a mountain.
67. Figure out a way to organize all my jewelry and do it!
68. Go to a concert/see live music.69. Start a retirement account.
70. Buy a nice pair of hiking boots.
71. Pick my own pumpkin at a pumpkin patch and carve it.72. Clean up 2 miles of roadsides. (0.5/2)
73. Go to a taping of the Ellen DeGeneres Show.
74. Find a cocktail I really like.
75. Invent a cocktail I really like.
76. Donate 100,000 grains of rice. (8,500/100,000)
77. Make homemade ice cream.
78. Take a strip of photobooth pictures with JH every year. (1/3)
79. Save all of my change for 1001 days.($50 so far!)
80. Find and purchase the perfect pair of boots.
81. Buy a nice digital camera.82. See the Northern Lights.
83. Finish my Carolina t-shirt quilt.
84. Visit NYC for the first time!
85. Sign up for and play a co-ed sport.86. Perfect a lemonade recipe.
87. Go to an amusement park.88. Use only reusable bags for 50 shopping trips. (30/50)
89. Make a recipe from each cookbook I own.
-Shamelessly Rich Carrot Cake, Booze Cakes by Krystina Castella and Terry Lee Stone
-Quinoa Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, Raising the Salad Bar by Catherine Walthers
-S'mores Cupcakes, Cupcakes by Shelly Kaldunksi
-Old-Fashioned Lemonade, Lemonade by Fred Thompson
90. Create an etsy shop.
91. Ride a train somewhere.
92. Shop at a farmer's market outside of my town.
93. Learn all of the ranks in the Army.
94. Take JH Up North.95. Finish all my Christmas shopping for the year by December 1st.
96. Create a budget and stick to it for 6 months.
97. Make an inspiration board for my dream wedding.
98. Learn to apply make-up, including liquid eyeliner.99. Do a zipline course.
100. Donate $1 to charity for each item not completed.
101. Have a new 101 in 1001 list ready at the end of 1001 days!
Wish me luck! If you think you can help with any of my goals or have any suggestions, just leave a comment.